One of the first writing’s of this history; stated that “Fr. Allouez arrived here in October 1665 at the head of Chequamegon Bay and found a large village of Indians, w, who were cultivating fields of Indian corn and did not lead a wandering life. 800 men were baring arms.” “The results were to announce good tidings of Catholic Christianity and to baptize them.”
More information was written by the highly respected Rev. Father Chrysostomic Verweyst O.S.F.; “According to the citations of the “Jesuit relations” of 1667-71 the first church was not on Madeline Island, but on the shores of Chequamegon Bay, near Washburn, where the first chapel of the Jesuits was built of bark.” In his journals he wrote; historically “The first Roman Catholic Missionaries Allouez, Menard and Marquette moored their bark canoes in Chequamegon Bay over 200 years ago (this was written in 1894).”
“Fr. Marquette arrive here September 13th, 1669.” The mission was called “du Saint spirit”.
State of Wisconsin archives recorded the arrival of “Father Fredrick Baraga in 1831 at LaPointe, he was recognized for his life-long dedication to working with Native Americans in the Upper Great Lakes. After leaving the area he was later consecrated as a Bishop in 1853.
Additionally, ”in the beginning of 1882, Franciscan Fr. Chrysostom Verwyst began walking from Bayfield twice a month to celebrate Mass in Washburn.” “There was no Catholic Church at this time, so the Mass was held wherever possible. In 1887 St. Louis Church was incorporated and the first Catholic church was constructed on the block of Fifth Street and Fourth Avenue.” “The present property at Seventh Street and Washington was purchased in 1889. In 1890, the old church was moved to the new property and additional building began.” “The following year, a parochial school opened.” “The Franciscan Province of the Sacred Heart of Jesus accepted responsibility for the parish in 1894.”
Then, in 1902, the cornerstone was laid for a new church. Under the direction and leadership of architect Brother Adriaqn OFM, from LaCrosse, WI the structure was built with Brownstone from local Apostle Island quarries and encompassed a Romanesque Revival architectural style. “A transition in parish leadership took place in 1910 when the first diocesan priest, Fr. Walter Beaudette, was appointed.” “The present school building was opened in February 1963. Because of safety concerns the church was closed in 1972 and Masses were celebrated in the school gymnasium.” “After several years of remodeling and renovation, the church was rededicated on July 7, 1985.” REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior, by Sam Lucero, 2005. Because of limited finances during this renovation, a bell tower was not constructed. However, when the Holy Family Catholic Church in Ashland closed and dismantled, brownstone for the St Louis church
bell tower was donated to construct the current bell tower that overlooks the St. Louis Parish and community. The parish continued to maintain the school until enrollments declined and was forced to close for monetary reasons. Looking for other ways to best utilize the school building, the St. Louis Early Childhood Development Center opened its doors, but unfortunately after a few short years, it also faced the same issues regarding enrollment/number of children attending, operational costs, certified staff and State mandates. Currently the school building is used for church socials, funeral lunches, senior meals, Bayfield County Health Department services, family gatherings, recreational uses, etc. Many are curious regarding the “namesake” of the church; for your reference and information, a brief history of Saint Louis King of France is included below. In his honor, the Catholic Church and the Superior Diocese has dedicated August 25th as “Saint Louis Feast Day”. “Louis (LOO-ee) was only 12 years old when he was named the king of France.” “The year was 1226, and his father, Louis VIII, had just died.” “ Louis was too young to rule the country on his own, so his mother ruled in his place.” “ She knew that one day Louis would take his place on the throne.” “She guided her son and taught him well so that he would become a just and courageous king.” “ Louis took over from his mother when he turned 21.” “The night before he was crowned, he fasted and prayed. He asked God to make him a good servant, to make him a good and holy king for his people.” “After the morning Mass, King Louis IX would ride his horse out into the country to see how he could work to make life better for his people.” “ He would often stop in villages to listen to what the people had to say.” “ He checked that wealthy; powerful nobles were not abusing people.” “ When he heard that the nobles unjustly took from people who had less,” “ he forced the nobles to give back what they had taken.” “He listened to people’s ideas for how to improve their country, and he passed laws to protect those who were vulnerable.” “The king ordered churches and hospitals built throughout France. In his travels, the king himself would often visit and care for those who were sick.” “ He listened to the needs of others.” “ As a man given the power to guide his country, he could do great good for his people.” “He worked for peace in the world, and when he did fight, he was merciful to those he captured.” “In 1244, King Louis led a Crusade into the Holy Land. As king, Louis could have taken special privileges and comforts. Instead, he chose to share the hardships of his soldiers.”” Once, the king was captured.” “While in prison, he prayed the Liturgy of the Hours every day.” “When Louis was dying, he prayed “Lord, I will enter into your house.” “ I will worship in your holy temple, and will give glory to your name.” “Through his prayer, his support of the Church, and his Christlike service to all, Louis made his whole life an act of worship.” Excerpted from Christ Our Life, by Sisters of Notre Dame of Chardon, Ohio.
We use cookie to improve your experience on our site. By using our site you consent cookies.
We do not collect or sell any data.